|So you would like to print from the PDABruce applications. OK, the instructions provided below will show you how to do it, but first you will have to download and install an application called TBReports or TBViewer. |
- You have to download and install a Windows program called TBReports or TBViewer. Download TBReports or TBViewer from PDA Toolbox.org.
TBReports is a Windows™ OS report writer that you can freely use when you use a pre-built report created for the applications below. You can use the reports and this program for any application you've purchased. You do not need to register this program to use the reports I've created because it's already been done for you!
If you wish to design your own reports, you will have to register TBReports.
TBViewer is a Windows™ OS report viewer that you can freely use when you use a pre-built report created for the applications below. You can use the reports and this program for any application you've purchased. You do not need to register this program. The remainder of this page describes using TBReports. If you download TBViewer the instructions are the same except replace TBViewer for TBReports.
- You also need to download the ZIP file that contains the particular program's reports (select below). This file needs to be unzipped to the same folder as the one you install TBReports (or TBViewer) into. "Usually this would be C:\Program Files\TBReports3"
- You must hotsync your PDA so that the program's files will be backed up to your computer so you can access them using TBReports. They will be in your Palm™ Desktop user ID backup folder. TBReports will find them automatically when you select a report. If you have more than one device or hotsync ID it will prompt you for which one to use.
- Launch TBReports from the Start|Programs menu, then select the Open file function. If you have placed the program's report file in the TBReports folder it should be listed, select it. If you have unzipped the report file to some other folder use the browse feature of the Open dialog box to locate the report file and open it.
- Select which report you would like to view/print, select your criteria from the drop down selection boxes. Be sure if you are trying to print a range of dates that the earlier date is in the first box and the later date is in the bottom box otherwise you will not get any data to view/print. (see the detailed instructions below)
Follow the steps below to view/print reports using TBReports.
Opening A Compiled ReportReports are files ending with a ".TBC" file extension. These report files actually contain the definitions for one or more pre-designed reports. Once the compiled reports are opened, they report on a specific database defined by the application. This database will always be found in your Palm OS "Backup" folder and has the most recent data after you've performed a normal HotSync.
To Open A Compiled ReportLaunch TBReports using the Start|Programs menu. Click the File / Open menu command to open a compiled report. Use the dialog to navigate to the folder you unzipped one of the above archives. There you should find one or more files with the ".TBC" file extension.
Click on one of the ".TBC" files and click OK.
After the report opens, you will see a Table of Contents that lists all the reports that are available to you.
Click on a report to view and/or print it.
To Change ReportsYou can always press View / Reports menu command to get the report's Table of Contents dialog back on the screen. This allows you to easily switch between reports.
If you want to open a different set of reports, use the File / Open menu command (see above).
Using Filtered ReportsSome reports you'll want to see have "filters" attached to them. This is done so you don't have to see all records in a database. Before you can use most filters, you'll have to provide filter parameters - that is, you'll need to answer questions about what you want to see. This can be nearly anything such as what month do you want to see the report for? These filters are shown to use in a dialog like this:
Just answer each question and click OK to run the report..
There are two check-boxes: The first Don't use a criteria for this report allows you to turn off any criteria during the report so you can see all database records. The second, Print an Input Summary at end of report is used when you want a report of all the answers you gave. This is helpful so you can see what answers were used to generate the report.
A sample of a tabular report as it appears in TBReports:
Moving Around The Preview Window
To re-run your report at anytime, especially if there are inputs to be edited, click on the Run Report toolbar button.
There is a navigation bar that allows you to scroll between pages and set the zoom. Zoom Modes include typical percentage zooms plus thumbnails, full page, double-page, and best-fit zooms.
You can use the keyboard cursor keys to move around a page.
You can press the left mouse button and "grab" the report to move/scroll within a page.
You can hold the SHIFT+(Left or Right) mouse button to move between pages.
Your mouse-wheel can also scroll through the report.
Palm Desktop™ Integration
The "Tools / Palm Desktop" command will turn on/off integration into the Palm Desktop™ application. Integration means that the TBReports icon will be available from within the Palm Desktop application. This is supported for the Palm Desktop software version 4.0 or greater.
To integrate, checkmark the "Integrate" checkbox. Uncheck to remove from the Palm Desktop.
The change takes effect each time you start the Palm Desktop application.